Reclaiming Florida’s Future for All! Â Â Clean Water, Clean Air, Clean Energy Save the Date-Wednesday, 1/31!
Join us in The Capitol for Lobby training on the evening of 1/30, Citizen lobbying on the 31st.
ReThink Energy Florida, Floridians Against Fracking, Progress For All, Organize Florida, Sierra Club Florida, Physicians for Social Responsibility Florida, Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, Environment Florida, Florida Student Power Network, Florida Conservation Voters, Rethink Energy Action Fund, Food and Water Watch Florida, Urban Paradise Guild, National Nurses United, Center for Biological Diversity and more:
Reclaiming Florida’s Future for All!
Make your voice heard on key water and energy issues facing Florida! Â Â Speak directly with your elected officials!
RSVP to let us know you’ll be by our side on this important day! We will be talking with our legislators about these critical issues:
- Supporting Renewable Energy: Floridians have spoken, acknowledging Florida as the Sunshine State! Despite this, investor-owned utilities continue their undue influence in the Capitol, trying to discourage proactive solar energy policy.
- Banning Fracking in Florida: This extreme extraction method poses risks to our environment and to human health. We don’t want the recent fracking that occurred in Naples happen anywhere in Florida again!
- Protection of Floridaâ€™s Waters: From the Panhandle to the Keys, Floridians demand clean water. Our springs, rivers, estuaries, lakes, bays and Everglades will continue to degrade, and threaten our health, quality of life, and economy, until decision-makers buy the land needed to restore and protect our watersheds.
- Florida Forever Funding: A bill this year dedicates $100 million annually to Florida Forever, the stateâ€™s premiere land conservation program. However, as we have seen previously, thereâ€™s no guarantee the Legislature will pass this funding. Your voice is needed to preserve Floridaâ€™s most important natural areas.
- Climate Action: Florida is ground zero for climate change, yet our leaders are dragging their feet when it comes to implementing true action to address the cause and counter the harms of climate change. We want the legislature to end policies that increase or extend reliance on fossil fuels Â and hasten the transition to renewable energy, as well as attempt to mitigate its consequences.
- Citizen Engagement for Climate Justice: Just as climate action is necessary, climate injustices must be addressed. The impacts of CO2 emissions, intense hurricanes, and sea level rise have a higher impact on low-income Floridians and people of color. Impacts from warming and shifts in the growing season could have disastrous effects on food deserts. Meanwhile, voter suppression disproportionately impacts these same communities. Legislation that safeguards the rights of voters & local governments is important to citizen engagement.
Training: Weâ€™re going to make sure you are prepared! Training will occur Tuesday, 1/30, 6:30-8:00pm, with other formats of training available for those traveling in to Tallahassee the day of the event! Register by Wednesday, 1/24, so we can get you all of the information in a timely fashion
Register here: https://goo.gl/forms/ZYAsjaadEWLxCN5M2
Schedule of Activities:
- 6:30pm-8:00pm: Training at LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library, located at 200 W Park Ave, Tallahassee, FL 32301
- Free lodging is being hosted at the Floridaâ€™s People Advocacy Center. See the Registration Form for the available free and low cost lodging options.
- Â TBD: Mini-advocacy day training for day-of registrants
- 10:00am: Registration opens at Waller Park (at the Dolphins Statue)
- 10:30am-11:00am: Rally at Waller Park (at the Dolphins Statue)
- 11:00am – 4:00pm: Legislative Meetings being set by the Sponsors (note: some may be scheduled during the rally – please pay attention to your individual schedules you will get just prior to the event
- 11:30am-1:00pm: Lunch will be split into groups based on the region of FL you are from. Located at a nearby building. Mini Environmental Training Sessions on several environmental issues will also be held during lunch.