By Maryvonne Devensky
Several issues are at hand this month and we invite you to participate in these as much as possible.
1. Sabal trail – Pipelines issue.
First, Sierra Club has filed a lawsuit against FERC. Please see the press release issued a few days ago.
Action on Southeast Market Pipelines Project (Sabal Trail, Florida Southeast Connection and Hillabee Expansion). The objective is to create several actions across the state of Florida to protest the building of these pipelines. These are to be peaceful and nonviolent demonstrations.
When: Friday, October 7.
First at Okeechobee Park in town of Okeechobee, at corner of 441 (Parrott avenue) and SR 70 (Park street). This will be from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon.
Then at Spectra Energy Offices in Juno Beach. 700 Universe Blvd. Juno Beach, Fl. From 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm during rush hour.
Speakers will be Bobby C. Billie, one of the Clan Spiritual Leaders of the original Miccosukee Seminole Nation, and Cece Scofield.
Contact Shannon Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Merrillee Malwitz Jipson at email@example.com for more information on these two events. Carpooling will be organized. Remember these are peaceful, nonviolent demonstrations. Bring signs, and banners. Check SSJ Sierra Club Facebook page for more details. There may be more events in Florida as we get closer to October 7.
From October 21 to 23, Robyn Dodd will lead a caravan from Ocala to Ft. Myers, then going North towards Tallahassee. If interested in joining, please contact Robyn at firstname.lastname@example.org. She plans to collect signatures and letters to give to our Governor.
2. GENERAL MEETING: Come to our general meeting on Thursday, October 6, at 7:00pm to meet Merald Clark, Park ranger at Morningside Nature Center, sharing his memories of John Muir. This presentation is to honor John Muir who hiked across Florida from Fernandina Beach to Cedar Key almost 150 years ago. We will tell you about a new project that may be of interest to you. So please come to the meeting.
3. OPEN HOUSE of our new Sierra Club office at Rum 138 in Ft. White.
Date: Saturday. October 8, 2016. From 10:00 am until 2:00 pm. Come visit the new Sierra Club office and meet new staff member, Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson, and other volunteers. We will listen to music, visit the adjoining art gallery, have a picnic lunch (please bring your own food and drink, snacks to share if you wish.) Stay later and rent a kayak or canoe and go down the Santa Fe River.
4. Stay alert re: upcoming meeting about Alachua County Stormwater issue. You will get an email when a date is selected.
5. GARAGE SALE to benefit the ICO program will be on Saturday, October 22. From 8:00am until 12:00 noon. Location: 2025 NW 35th Terr, Gainesville.
If you want to donate articles, please contact me at email@example.com. You could bring your items after October 17. Also, we need help on the day of the garage sale – organizing, pricing, selling. Come hang out with us!